A student who officially withdraws within the refund period will receive a tuition refund in accordance with the refund schedule below.
- View the full spring 2018 refund schedule.
- View the full summer 2018 refund schedule.
- View the full fall 2018 refund schedule.
All refunds are calculated from the date on which the student completes a course change form online. If the original payment was made by credit card, a refund will be applied to the student's credit card. Otherwise, a check will be generated for the refund amount. Check refunds can be picked up at the Student Financial Services office in North Brookings.
Checks not picked up within two weeks are mailed to the student’s local address. Refunds are issued weekly on Friday, beginning the week prior to the beginning of the semester. Students who paid by credit card, cash, or check and are due a refund for a future semester should call (314) 935-6701. Personal and business checks issued to Washington University are held for 3 weeks before a refund is issued.
University College grants full refunds to individuals called to active military duty.
Accelerated Track Program (ACTRAC)
Refunds for dropping the ACTRAC option are issued in accordance with the standard refund schedule.
Courses Meeting Fewer Than 8 Weeks
A full refund is issued if the student withdraws within 24 hours after the first class meeting. No refund is issued after this 24-hour period.
Full refunds are granted if University College cancels a course.
Lab fees are refunded 100% up to the tuition refund deadline.
- If the course meets three (3) days or less, it must be dropped prior to the start of the course for 100% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
- If the course meets for five (5) calendar days up to one week, you have 24 hours after the first class to drop for 100% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
- If you are taking a Special Format course (for example, Weekend or Intensive Format) that meets 6+ days, you have 24 hours after the first class to drop for 100% refund and 48 hours after the first class to drop for 50% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
Special Audit Courses
Refunds for dropping Special Audit courses are issued in accordance with the standard refund schedule.
Washington University Employees
If a course is dropped, the tuition benefit will be reversed. If the course is dropped after the 100 percent refund period, the employee is responsible for the outstanding tuition balance. Please refer to the refund schedule to determine the amount due.