Surprisingly affordable.

An education tailored to fit your lifestyle and budget.

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Below are common questions we receive regarding financial aid and scholarships. Have a question you don't see listed below? Contact us at

Who is eligible to receive federal student assistance?

Generally, students must meet the following criteria to be awarded federal financial assistance:

  • Admission to a degree or select certificate program and maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrated financial need.
  • US citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Valid Social Security Number (SSN).
  • Registration with Selective Services if a male between the ages of 18-25.
  • Verification that you are not in default on a federal loan and the financial assistance will be used for educational purposes only.
  • Verification that you have not been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs while receiving federal financial assistance.
  • Registration at least half-time in University College.

How many credit hours do I need to complete to be considered half-time and maintain federal financial assistance?

Undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 6 credit hours of course work during each of the fall, spring, and summer semesters with a C (2.0) minimum grade point average.

Graduate students must complete a minimum of 4.5 credit hours of course work during each of the fall and spring semesters (3 credit hours during the summer) with a B (3.0) minimum grade point average.

What type of financial assistance is available?

Students admitted to a degree or select certificate program and enrolled at least half-time are eligible for grants, loans, and scholarships. Grants and need-based scholarships are awarded according to income. Most students are eligible for loans, regardless of income, provided they meet all eligibility requirements.

There are also merit-based scholarships that do not take income into account. Students enrolled less than half-time may be eligible for alternative financial assistance like banks or other lending institutions outside the University. Visit our Financial Aid Sources to learn more.

How much financial assistance am I eligible to receive?

Degree and select certificate seeking students are usually eligible for the amount of tuition and related expenses (i.e. books). Award amounts are based on a student’s individual circumstances, such as current enrollment status, financial need, dependent status, prior loan history, and academic level.

Please contact our Financial Aid Team at for award details..

I need financial assistance, but I am not admitted into a degree or certificate program at University College. Am I eligible for any financial assistance?

You must be admitted into a degree or select certificate program to qualify for federal financial assistance or University College scholarships. However, you can seek alternative sources like banks or other lending institutions outside the University such as:

I am admitted to a University College degree or select certificate program. How do I apply for and receive federal financial assistance?

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at This information is submitted to the federal government and determines your need for assistance.
  • Complete the University College Evening School Profile form. This alerts our Financial Aid Office that you are applying for federal financial assistance.
  • Wait for your award letter to be emailed to you. Complete your award letter response form and entrance counseling. Sign for any loans (if applicable). Submit tax return and verification worksheet (if randomly selected for “verification”).
  • Register for at least half time in University College.

For more information about the financial aid application process, visit Applying for Financial Aid.

Which certificate programs are eligible for financial aid?

The Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical and Geographic Information Systems certificate programs are eligible for financial aid. Students must be admitted to a degree