Print Page

Bachelor of Science in Health Care


The Bachelor of Science in Health Care provides an academic foundation for students pursuing managerial, clinical, or research careers in health care. The program includes a base of core courses that examines scientific, social, political, economic, ethical, and organizational issues in health care and that also addresses implications for individual practice and public policy. This required core, drawn largely from Arts & Sciences, underscores the complex, interdisciplinary nature of health care today, and the mandate for critical thinking, contextual understanding, and ethical behavior across all related fields and careers. Grounded in these common questions and skill sets, students then pursue more specialized professional interests by selecting a concentration in either health care management or health sciences.

This undergraduate program equips students with an academic foundation for graduate or professional school, or for work in a variety of health care professions including, but not limited to, hospital administration, community health, public health, biomedical research, medicine, nursing, dentistry, and physical and occupational therapy.

Undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs offered through University College are not offered by the Olin Business School at Washington University and do not come under the accreditation responsibility of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). No more than 25% of course work applied to a Bachelor of Science in University College may be in business disciplines.


Our advisors go the extra mile to help you navigate your path and needs. We will provide you with the tools to make each moment spent on your education as valuable as possible. Students will receive:

  • individual appointments with an experienced advisor;
  • career planning services to prepare you for opportunities after graduation;
  • a partner throughout your journey to ensure success.

Schedule an Appointment

We have suspended in-person advising appointments temporarily according to the university’s response to COVID-19. Students should not come to campus, but advisors are still available to help you by email, phone or Zoom.​​​​ 

Student advising is available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. 

Lily Dollan

 Lily M. Dollan
Academic Advisor 

Rebecca O'Laughlin

 Rebecca O'Laughlin
Academic Advisor

Meet with Lily

Meet with Rebecca

Elisa Wang

Elisa Wang
Academic Advisor


Meet with Elisa


required course work

All University College undergraduate students must satisfy the same general-education requirements. Requirements specific to the BS in Health Care include:

Required Courses: 12 Units

  • Health Psychology (U09 358)
  • Biomedical Ethics (U22 233)
  • Introduction to Public Health (U69 3283)
  • Health and Society (U86 309)
Health Care Management Concentration

Required Courses: 24 units

  • Introduction to Microeconomics (U07 1011)
  • Health Economics (U07 352)
  • Introduction to Statistics (U20 1011) OR Applied Statistics (U20 205) OR Probability and Statistics I (U20 305)
  • Financial and Managerial Accounting (U44 263)
  • Principles of Management (U44 339)
  • Legal Issues in Health Care Management (U86 312)
  • Health Care Finance (U86 314)
  • Health Care Policy (U86 355)
Health Sciences Concentration

Required Courses: 11 units

  • General Biology I (U29 101)
  • General Biology II (U29 102)
  • Introduction to Human Disease and Its Scientific Basis (U29 342)

Electives: 12 units (at least 6 units at the 300-400 level)

  • General Chemistry I [no lab] (U05 105)
  • General Chemistry II [no lab] (U05 106)
  • General Chemistry Laboratory I (U05 151)
  • General Chemistry Laboratory II (U05 152)
  • Organic Chemistry I with Lab (U05 261)
  • Organic Chemistry II with Lab (U05 262)
  • General Physics [with lab] (U23 211)
  • General Physics II [with lab] (U23 212)
  • Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology I [with lab] (U29 322)
  • Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology II [With Lab] (U29 323)
  • Introduction to Biochemistry (U29 406)
  • Biology of Aging (U29 431)
  • Developmental Psychology (U09 322)
  • Child Health Psychology (U09 3200)
  • Behavioral Medicine (U09 460)
  • Medical Anthropology (U69 387)

Take a course today. Apply later.

At University College, students can take courses without applying to a degree program. If you are interested in taking a class to get to know University College, to fulfill credits, for professional development, or to follow a passion, the non-degree option is for you. Learn more.

admissions requirements

6 units of transferrable college-level course work
  • At least six units of transferrable college-level course work; or 
  • at least six units of course work taken at University College and proof of high school completion or GED.
2.7 minimum GPA

Note: University College is designed for students with adult responsibilities who may require part-time and flexible course schedules. Current high school students and recent graduates seeking a traditional WashU college experience should apply through the undergraduate admissions office:

application requirements

Below is a list of requirements for an application to the undergraduate degree in Health Care. Applications will be reviewed once all requirements are received.

Application Deadlines

Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and typically take four to six weeks. Applicants are encouraged to submit all materials by the following dates:

  • SPRING 2021: DEC. 30, 2020
  • SUMMER 2021: APRIL 15, 2021
  • FALL 2021: JULY 15, 2021
Completed application form

The online application is available online on our Apply page. Applications are ready for review when all fields on the application form are completed and the required documents have been received.


Official or unofficial (student-issued) copies of transcripts from the three most recent years of college-level work. If you have fewer than 6-units of transferable credit, proof of high school completion or GED must be submitted. Contact the registrar at each previous college or university attended to request an official transcript. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the registrar to University College. Electronic transcripts should be forwarded to For transcript questions, please contact our Admissions Coordinator, Patricia Agnew, at

Non-United States course work transcript verification
If the transcript you submit for consideration is from a college or university outside the United States, a course by course transcript evaluation is also required. Evaluations will be accepted from World Education Services (WES), Spantran or another member institution of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For Spantran evaluations, you must use this form

Personal Essay

Tell us about yourself in a brief essay (about 250 words). Why are you applying to University College? What are your goals, both academic and professional? Is there additional information we should know about you when considering your application?

TOEFL/IELTS scores (if applicable)

All international students are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores at the time of application. The TOEFL, IELTS and Duolingo requirement may be waived for applicants who, immediately prior to their application for admission, have done both of the following:

  • Lived for three years or longer in the United States or another country where English is the primary language of daily life (e.g. Canada or United Kingdom).
  • Completed three or more years of study at a college or university which is located in that country and where the language of instruction is English.

This policy applies to all international students, even those who have earned a degree from a United States college or university.

If an applicant moves away from an English-speaking country after living and studying there for three years or more, TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores are then required for admission. 

For international student application deadlines, please click HERE.

Additional TOEFL and IELTS information for international students adversely affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found on University College’s International Student Information webpage.

Back to All

Still have questions?

Academic Advisor: Lily M. Dollan | (314) 935-3499 | LILY.M@WUSTL.EDU

Academic Advisor: Rebecca O'Laughlin | (314) 935-6742 | ROLAUGHLIN@WUSTL.EDU

Academic Advisor: Elisa Wang | (314) 935-6793 | ELISA.WANG@WUSTL.EDU