Certificate in Sustainability
The Certificate in Sustainability provides an interdisciplinary foundation to understanding and addressing today’s most pressing and complex social, environmental and economic challenges.
This certificate covers the broad sustainability knowledge, skills and competencies for those interested in either advancing within their current field or seeking a new direction. It can apply across a wide range of fields: from management, design and planning, to environmental services in business, non-profit and public institutions. The program addresses the collaborative and integrative nature of sustainability with an emphasis on applied learning – taking the lessons from the classroom into St. Louis.
Our advisors go the extra mile to help you navigate your path and needs. We will provide you with the tools to make each moment spent on your education as valuable as possible. Students will receive:
- one-on-one, hour long appointments with an experienced advisor;
- career planning services to prepare you for opportunities after graduation;
- a partner throughout your journey to ensure success.
Request an Appointment
Student advising is available at our West Campus location from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday-Thursday and 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on Friday.
required course work
- Foundations and Practice of Sustainability (U19 205)
- Environmental Science: Regional and Global Perspectives (U29 413)
- Strategic Planning (U44 364)
- Environmental Law: Applications towards Sustainability (U19 328)
- Sustainability as a Transformative Agent in Business and Public Policy (U19 368)
There are no formal requirements for admission to undergraduate certificates. Students should speak with an academic advisor regarding their preparation for specific certificates or courses.
The online application is available online on our Apply page. Applications are ready for review when all fields on the application form are completed and the application fee is paid.
You may pay by credit card online, or via check or money order payable to Washington University in St. Louis. You may also pay the fee by cash at the University College office.
This fee is waived for all WashU staff.