Certificate in Sustainability
The Certificate in Sustainability provides an interdisciplinary foundation to understanding and addressing today’s most pressing and complex social, environmental, and economic challenges.
This certificate covers the broad sustainability knowledge, skills, and competencies for those interested in either advancing within their current field or seeking a new direction. It can apply across a wide range of fields: from management, design, and planning, to environmental services in business, non-profit, and public institutions. The program addresses the collaborative and integrative nature of sustainability with an emphasis on applied learning – taking the lessons from the classroom into St. Louis.
Our advisors go the extra mile to help you navigate your path and needs. We will provide you with the tools to make each moment spent on your education as valuable as possible. Students will receive:
- one-on-one, hour long appointments with an experienced advisor;
- career planning services to prepare you for opportunities after graduation;
- a partner throughout your journey to ensure success.
Schedule an Appointment
Student advising is available at our West Campus location from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday, and at our Danforth Campus location from 2-6 p.m., Monday-Thursday, and 1-5 p.m. on Friday.
required course work
- Foundations and Practice of Sustainability (U19 205)
- Environmental Science: Regional and Global Perspectives (U29 413)
- Strategic Planning (U44 364)
- Environmental Law: Applications towards Sustainability (U19 328)
- Sustainability as a Transformative Agent in Business and Public Policy (U19 368)
There are no formal requirements for admission to undergraduate certificates. Students should speak with an academic advisor regarding their preparation for specific certificates or courses.
University College cannot sponsor an I-20 for any certificate program. International students are eligible to apply for a certificate program if they already hold a visa that permits part-time study. International students holding a B-2 or F-2 visa are only permitted to register for courses that are recreational or avocational.
The online application is available online on our Apply page. Applications are ready for review when all fields on the application form are completed.