Combined Bachelor’s & Master’s Degree
The Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree Program is designed for students who wish to pursue rigorous and accelerated study that will lead to both a Bachelor of Science and either a Master of Arts or Master of Science in areas of study for which there are degree programs in University College.
- Admission to a Bachelor of Science degree program in University College.
- Completion of a minimum of 60 units toward the Bachelor of Science degree, including transfer credit, with a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average. Only in exceptional cases will candidates be authorized to pursue the BS/Master’s Program after completing 84 units.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 units of undergraduate course work in University College, at least 9 of which must be advanced level (300- and 400-level courses), with a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average.
- Completion of Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Program Preliminary Authorization Request.
- Two academic writing samples, at least one of which must be research-based, to be submitted to University College.
- Personal interview with the Director of Advising and/or Associate Dean for Academics.
Preliminary Authorization Request Form
Students who meet the eligibility requirements noted above should meet with their undergraduate advisor and complete the Combined Bachelor’s/Master’s Preliminary Authorization Request form.
Writing Samples and Personal Interview
Two academic writing samples, one of which must be research-based, and a personal interview, are also required for preliminary authorization.
Applicants will be informed, following a review of writing samples and personal interview, whether or not they have been authorized to pursue the Combined BS/Master’s Program, including authorization to register for graduate course work that will count toward both the undergraduate and appropriate master’s degree.
Students receiving this preliminary authorization are required to submit a graduate application during the final 30-36 units of undergraduate study, at which time their academic performance and potential for continued graduate study will be reevaluated. If approved, students will be formally admitted to a graduate program of study.
- Formal admission to the Graduate School or University College.
- Completion of a minimum of 135 units of course work, undergraduate and graduate, including all residency requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree.
- Completion of all requirements in the student’s graduate program, including a final written project where required, and in accordance with all academic policies and procedures for undergraduate and graduate study in University College and/or the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences.
- A maximum of 15 to 18 units of graduate course work (depending on the specific MA program) at the 400 and 500 levels may count as requirements for both the graduate degree and as unrestricted electives in the undergraduate degree.
- Students will receive both the Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts or Master of Science at the completion of the entire program. The Bachelor of Science is conferred by University College. The Master of Arts and Master of Liberal Arts are conferred by the Graduate School. The Master of Science in Clinical Research Management is conferred by University College.
Connect with an Advisor
Preliminary Authorization Request Form
Accelerated Master’s Degree Program
READY TO GET STARTED?
Create Your Application
Register for Courses
Explore Financial Aid
Our advisors go the extra mile to help you navigate your path and needs. We will provide you with the tools to make each moment spent on your education as valuable as possible. Students will receive:
- individual appointments with an experienced advisor;
- career planning services to prepare you for opportunities after graduation;
- a partner throughout your journey to ensure success.
Student advising is available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday.
Still have questions?
Director of Advising and Student Services: