Bachelor of Science in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
The undergraduate degree in Industrial and Organizational Psychology is designed for students planning to work in the fields of general management, human resources/personnel, and organizational behavior. The course work focuses on the behavioral aspects of managing and supervising the human resources of an organization or industry.
The University College programs in psychology are allied with the Department of Psychology in Arts and Sciences at Washington University. Courses are normally scheduled one evening a week for two and a half hours. Most courses are three units.
required course work
All University College undergraduate students must satisfy the same general-education requirements. Requirements specific to the B.S. in Industrial & Organizational Psychology include:
- Introduction to Psychology (U09 100)
- Psychological Statistics (U09 300)
- Tests and Measurements (U09 404)
- Introduction to Social Psychology (U09 315) or Psychology of Personality (U09 353)
- Cognitive Psychology (U09 359) or Learning and Memory (U09 365)
- Introduction to Industrial Psychology (U09 214)
- Organizational Psychology (U09 314)
- Current Issues in Human Resource Management (U09 414)
- Applied Psychology of Learning in Industry (U09 468)
- Introduction to Group Dynamics (U09 480)
- Managerial Economics (U07 403)
- Technical Writing (U11 331)
- Introduction to Strategic Communication (U48 262)
- Financial and Managerial Accounting (U44 263)
- Marketing Concepts (U44 270)
- Public Relations (U48 350)
The online application is available online on our Apply page. Applications are ready for review when all fields on the application form are completed, required documents have been received, and the application fee is paid.
Contact the registrar at each previous college or university attended to request an official transcript. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the registrar to University College.
Tell us about yourself in a brief essay (about 250 words). Why are you applying to University College? What are your goals, both academic and professional? What do we need to know when considering your application?
If you are not a U.S. citizen, official TOEFL scores must be forwarded to University College.
Graduates of a U.S. university or college or Canada, Australia, and U.K. residents are exempt if they have earned a bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree from such college or university.
You may pay by credit card online, or via check or money order payable to Washington University in St. Louis. You may also pay the fee by cash at the University College office.
This fee is waived for all WashU staff.