Certificate in Business
The Certificate in Business provides information, skills, and resources to help business managers become more effective organizational leaders. The coursework, drawn from both Business and Arts & Sciences, addresses core competencies, diverse perspectives, and multiple contexts required for successful business management in the following areas:
- Organizational Behavior and Administration
- Leadership and Supervision
- Strategic Planning
- Accounting, Finance, and Statistical Analysis
- Legal Issues
- International Business, Diversity, and Global Economics
The Certificate in Business is a strong complement to any undergraduate degree program in University College, emphasizing the applied value of a liberal arts education. The Certificate in Business may also be pursued on a stand-alone basis for individuals seeking professional development in a business setting.
Undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs offered by University College are offered through Arts & Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis. Business-related programs in University College are not accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International).
required course work
- Professional Writing, Speaking, and Presentation (U11 324)
- Financial and Managerial Accounting (U44 263)
- Law of Business I (U44 251)
- Business Organization and Administration (U44 125) or Introduction to Industrial and Organizational Psychology (U09 214)
- Leadership for Organizational Success (U44 305) or Supervisory Management (U44 220)
- Strategic Planning and Policy (U44 230) or Strategic Planning for Communications Professionals (U48 362)
- Marketing Concepts (U44 270) or Introduction to Marketing (U48 258) or Market Research and Communications Strategies (U48 305)
- International Management: Leadership Across Cultures (U44 330) or any other 3-credit International Studies course authorized by University College.
- Business Ethics (U22 234) or Problems in Philosophy (U22 120) or Present Moral Problems (U22 131), or Business, Government, and Society (U25 333), or any other 3-credit Ethics course authorized by University College.
- Economic Statistics (U07 231) or any other Statistics course authorized by University College.
Non-degree students and students already admitted to a Bachelor of Science degree program in University College may apply for admission to the Certificate in Business program.
There are no formal requirements for admission to undergraduate certificates. Students should speak with an academic advisor regarding their preparation for specific certificates or courses.
The online application is available online on our Apply page. Applications are ready for review when all fields on the application form are completed and the application fee is paid.
You may pay by credit card online, or via check or money order payable to Washington University in St. Louis. You may also pay the fee by cash at the University College office.
This fee is waived for all WashU staff.