The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits, and may be used for degree and certificate programs. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. Some service members may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill to receive increased monthly benefits. The additional contribution must be made while on active duty. For more information contact your personnel or payroll office.
Benefits are paid directly to the service member, and vary based on type of training, length of service, category, and DOD funding (“Kickers”).
The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. The MGIB-SR program provides up to 36 months of education benefits, and maybe used for degree or certificate programs.
Using Your Montgomery GI Bill Benefit
- Apply to a University College degree or certificate program (application fee is waived for military personnel).
- Provide University College with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility provided by the VA.
- Register for courses and select the appropriate military benefit payment option.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Sign and return an Intent To Pay Form
Please visit the Veterans Affairs website for the most recent and comprehensive information regarding tuition benefits.